The ARADI project phase II was concluded in Nigeria after a 2-day virtual convention on 25th and 26th of June, 2020 with stakeholders, CSO’s and government officials.
Theme: “DISABILITY RIGHTS DIMENSION IN CUSHIONING COVID 19 EFFECTS”
Joint consultative virtual convention meeting with the UN Women Country Representative to Nigeria and ECOWAS; SSA to the President on Sustainable Development Goals; Honorable Minister of Women Affairs and Social Development UN Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator in Nigeria; CEO- Africa Disability Alliance; Secretary, Africa Down Syndrome Network; and Chairman, UN Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disability.
The virtual convention was a success and was well attended. We had a total number of 118 persons who registered for the conference and we had a total number of 98persons who attended (59persons on the 25th of June and 36persons on the 26th of June) with 65% of females in attendance.
This convention was a collaborative effort between 3 CSO’s Down syndrome Foundation, Cedar Seed Foundation and Initiative for National Growth; the 3 CSO’s are all headed by women.
The convention featured speakers and Panelist from the Government and UN organization in Nigeria.The Following Speakers and panelist were in attendance for the virtual convention:
- UN Women Country Representative to Nigeria and ECOWAS Her Excellency Ms. Comfort Lamptey
- SSA to the President on Sustainable Development Goals, Her Excellency Princess Adejoke Orelope-Adefulire
- Honourable Minister of Women Affairs and Social Development, Her Excellency Dame Pauline Tallen
- His Excellency Edward Kallon, the UN Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator in Nigeria represented by Mr. Martin Ejidike
- Jeff Hoffman, Award Winning Global Entrepreneur, Bestselling Author and Hollywood Film Producer.
- Kudakwashe Dube, CEO- Africa Disability Alliance.
- Ancella Ramjas, Secretary, Africa Down Syndrome Network
- Lois Auta, Founder of Cedar Seed Foundation
- Danlami Basharu, Chairman, UN Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disability.
- Daniel Omofoman, Special Program RFID -US African Foundation
- Mrs Grace Alexander, CEO Star Children Initiative
Moving ahead, Down syndrome Foundation Nigeria alongside other CSO’s would be partnering with the Ministry of women affairs and other Governmental organizations in ensuring that the ADP is ratified in Nigeria once there is free /interstate movement and COVID-19 pandemic is reduced.